What is Feng Shui?
Though a lot of people are familiar with the term Feng Shui, there are only a select few individuals who truly understand what it means or how it really works. The term Feng Shui literally means “wind-water” and is basically a cultural shorthand that was derived from the now-lost Classic of Burial which discusses the flow of chi to the location of a tomb.
Feng Shui is also one of the five arts of Chinese metaphysics categorized as physiognomy which is the study of observation of appearances through various formulas and calculations. The thing is that Feng Shui was originally utilized to orient structures mostly tombs which are spiritually important as well as homes of people.
The art originally relied on astronomy to find the relationship between humans and the universe because the magnetic compass has not been invented yet. Feng Shui has existed for as long as 3,500 years or even more and is still utilized up until the present.
How Does Feng Shui Work?
The goal of Feng Shui is to set up your home in such a way that positive vibes or positive chi will be invited as oppose to negative ones. Qi which is pronounced as “chi” in English is defined as a positive or negative force that can be influenced through knowledge of Feng Shui.
It is important that you have a magnetic compass as well as a bagua if you want to start learning and applying Feng Shui. A bagua is basically a Feng Shui energy map which appears to be an octagonal grid which has a lot of symbols of the I Ching, which is the ancient oracle where Feng Shui was originally based.
Being familiar with your home’s bagua will help you understand the connection of different Feng Shui locations in your home to one another better. At the same time, this also helps you understand the correlation of these locations to different aspects of your life like wealth, health, family and many more.
How can I benefit from Feng Shui?
A lot of people tend to raise an eyebrow when they hear the term Feng Shui thinking that it has something to deal with magic and or the supernatural. Often, people have a hard time believing things that are intangible or invisible hence they are not inclined into learning or understanding Feng Shui. But the truth is that Feng Shui offers a lot of benefits:
- Health: When positive qi flows inside the house it also positively affects the health of the people living there. The residents of the home will feel more invigorated and energized which leads to being more productive and less prone to illness.
- Prosperity: Practicing Feng Shui helps you determine and identify which structure would be a good place to start a business and lead you to success.
- Drive off Misfortune: Practicing Feng Shui will help you and your family drives away negative vibes which bring misfortune in the family and home. However, being knowledgeable about it can help you customize the interior design of your home to encourage positive energy in it.
- Harmony: Properly applying Feng Shui at home will eventually lead to the family to be in harmony with their environment as well as exterior forces. This also promotes peace of mind for those who are under the influence of good Feng Shui.
These are some of the benefits that Feng Shui has for those who practice it and Feng Shui can offer more.
Tips For Those Who Are Interested In Learning And Practicing Feng Shui
If you are someone who is interested in learning the art of feng shui, it is vital that you read a lot about the subject matter. In addition, you have to have the tools necessary to be able to customize the interior design of your home in such a way that it can improve the flow of positive energy in it. By having a bagua and a magnetic compass, you will be able to determine how the energy flows inside your home and make the necessary changes.
Here are some of the things that you may want to consider when applying feng shui in your home:
- Doors: One of the first things that you have to do is to identify which door is your house’s main door. This is the door that was primarily designed as the house’s main door and this will serve as your basis when you are utilizing your bagua to determine who energy flows from outside to inside your home. The only exception to this rule is if the house got renovated or remodeled. It is important that the other doors that the family members go through are also charged with good vibes and in order for you to be able to infuse it with positive energy; you have to ensure that the door is clean and is aesthetically taken care of.
- Mirrors: In feng shui, having a mirror facing your front door is not good as well as a mirror facing the bed. The reason for this is because a mirror drives away all positive qi trying to enter the house. Keep in mind that in feng shui, the house absorbs positive energy through the main door. Not even keeping a mirror away in a distance would help so it would be best to remove the mirror.
- Decoration: If you are able to properly tune your main door into being a beacon of positive energy then the next thing that you have to focus on is your feng shui decoration. The first thing that you have to do is that having a blue colored front door and a black colored door mat is not a good way to start decorating your house. The blue is associated with the element of refreshing and healing waters or the clear sky. This color is best used in the feng shui bagua area of the east which represents health and family and southeast which represents wealth and abundance, of the home. Having this color in the office or a child’s study especially as a ceiling color will surely encourage children to be performers.
Overall, the art of feng shui offers a lot for everyone. Having an open-mind and a deep understanding of feng shui will eventually lead to a healthy, sound and prosperous lifestyle.